ADVANCED PV SYSTEMS (3 - 8 July 2017)
The aim of the course is to provide attendees with the
understanding and tools to design grid-tied (including hybrid
configurations with backup power) PV systems within the South
African solar resource, technical and legislative contexts. The
underlying design criteria will be to optimise the energy yield
versus lifecycle costs of the PV system within the given resource,
technical and legislative constraints, i.e. the optimising the
financial viability of the system.
Specifically, the following topics will be covered:
- - Solar resource & irradiation data sources
- - Different solar PV technologies
- - Photo-voltaic panel: electrical characteristics, maximum power point, influence of shading & diffuse irradiation, etc.
- - Photo-voltaic array: impact of positioning & tracking, string design and DC cable sizing, etc.
- - Connection to the distribution grid: power electronics basics, earthing and circuit-breaker design, system sizing, AC cable sizing, South African regulations & standards, etc.
- - Financial viability: understanding tariffs, payback, etc.